Monday, May 9, 2011

New Bench Project

Finished an unusual project this week :-)

A bench made from a wooden axle and steel wheels was brought to me for repair.  The original seat and back rest were narrow, badly weathered and heavily padded. The seat mounting brackets forced the seat to be more narrow than necessary and there were some other minor problems.

After I disassembled the bench I began modifying the brackets to allow for a wider seat. This required a little grinding and drilling a few holes. After some "paint and powder" the hardware was reassembled.

I selected some 1 1/2" x 20" Sycamore slabs to replace the old seat and back rest.  Some shaping, drawing and carving is all it took to customize the slabs per my customers' request.  Slabs were sealed then mounted and the bench is ready to be picked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment